Sunday, March 7, 2010

What's Blooming This Week?

This week’s bloomers include a couple of ‘weeds.’ Definition: a weed is a plant, not intentionally seeded, growing out of place, that has an economic cost ie the need for herbicides or the labor to remove them.

Some weeds are our own garden plants that have escaped into the wild, see my post Invasive, Noxious, Uninvited. In the garden we tend to think of aggressive, self-sowing plants that crowd out our desired plantings as weeds. Many weeds are just the local native plants enjoying our superior soil and water.

Cheerfully yellow booms
Taraxacum officinale


Henbit - member of the mint family
Lamium amplexicaule

So fragrant, we need a bouquet for the house!
Narcissus sp.


I can't remember the name of this lavender star-shaped flowering bulb
It is just so clever and has multiplied slowly.


Who can't resist grape hyacinth's purply blue?
Muscari sp.

This is the violet a friend gave me.  I have purples and mixed, too.
Viola sp.

I do apologize for not posting this past week.  I have been under the weather.  Here's hoping for blue skies ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment